Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Tail winds and head winds

Nearly a year ago, I was in the WORST shape of my life. Literally.  I could barely walk. I needed help showering, going to the bathroom and getting in and out of the car.  I had lost a LOT of blood when I had my 4th.  A varicose vein had ruptured in the back of my uterus, and I had been bleeding out for hours.  I had five minutes -- maybe-- before losing all the blood I could.

When the doctors told me to take it easy, I did.  I walked.  I waited 8 months before trying anything too energetic.  But ever since having Vivienne, I have felt weak. I have felt tired. I don't like that feeling. I want to be STRONG physically, emotionally and spiritually! I cannot give to others, if I am not my best.

So my goal for 2017 is to get healthy. To get STRONG.  I made an attainable goal for myself. One that I don't think is too easily broken. I want to walk/run/jog a minimum of two miles everyday.  Everyday.  If I need to use the treadmill, I will. If I need to go to the gym and walk around the track, I will.  If I need to wake up at 5:30 a.m. and go running in 10 degree temperatures, I will.

Today's walk was revealing and inspiring.  It was cold, rainy, wet and most of all WINDY.  The winds were so powerful, that garbage cans were blown around.  Mailboxes were opening, and debris was flying everywhere.  Regardless. I threw my coat on and went outside.  No hat, no gloves.  I just WENT.

The winds were to the east. So 1/2 of my 2 miles was EASY!! The wind was to my back!  I almost felt like angles were carrying me on their wings, encouraging me to RUN!!!  When the gusts came, I ran with them.  I wanted to use the speed of the wind to move me as far forward as possible!  I ran and ran -- even though I was tired...because I knew what was around the bend.  I knew the winds would change and I would be FIGHTING against the winds.  So I ran until that happened.  Then I walked. I fought every step.  My ears burned. My nose ran.  I wondered why I was doing what I was doing. I thought of EVERY excuse to quit and take the shortcut home.  Such a change from just MINUTES ago, when I felt like I was flying with angels!!

I started thinking about that.  How life can and does change in an instant.  How we shouldn't  take those tail winds for granted, and...similarly...how we shouldn't take the head winds too seriously!!!  All of it -- the tail winds and the head winds prepare us.  They train us. They make us BETTER.

So when the times are good -- RUN...when times get tough -- keep moving.  The point is to keep GOING.  The good times and the bad. They make us stronger. They make us appreciate what we have, what we've lost and what we want to gain out of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment