Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Delegation and Outsourcing-- finding freedom from the small stuff

We are all told not to "sweat the small stuff," yet we do. We are indoctrinated at a young age to believe that with enough time and energy we can change ourselves and hone those skills that don't come naturally.  WHY? That IS sweating the small stuff.  Now, as a mom of three boys, it's my job to see what that "small stuff" is.  So in vehement protest from my boys, I insist that they play piano, try sports, ski, read and learn basic domestic duties (future daughters-in-law, I hope you thank me later, because I get a LOT Of push back now.)

My husband use to joke that I am a "master delegator."  I'm not sure if he meant it as a compliment, but I took it as one!!  Seriously! Delegation is a skill to acquire! It's a knowledge of one's own skills, time and expertise. It's the ability to say: my time is valued elsewhere!

Personally, I'm a big picture person. I don't like to be bothered with the "little stuff."  A legal degree helped me realize that that "little stuff" can be "big stuff" if unattended, but I still like the BIG picture. That's what floats my boat!! Ergo...the switch in careers!!

Cue the backstory:

When I got married, we had an AMAZING florist. She was a hands on gal. Really. I told her what I (thought) I wanted, and she took over.  What I thought I wanted was ALL wrong!! But, setting my ego aside, I figured I'd leave it to the expert. Clearly she was in the business for a reason.

She informed me, that as a blonde (paid for or otherwise), that red roses were not an appropriate color, as they would accentuate my roots.  Good point! I hadn't thought of that!! Anyway, it was at that moment; in the height of my wedding planning bliss, that I decided -- why not turn all those details over to the experts?  I did, and I was BEYOND happy.  I'm not good at micro-managing :-)

Fast forward now to my new mascara opportunity!!! Holy Moly! I had NO idea of the growth that would take place in such a short amount of time.  In December, I started to really think about how to work SMARTER and not HARDER. Delegation. Yup!  Delegation!! Why not?  I'm NOT an expert at web design, or creating websites etc. I have a lot of great skills, but why not focus on what I love, and outsource the rest to someone that loves what I do not???

It is scary. Scary to give up control. Scary to not have all the answers and to trust someone else. It is easy to not even try. To stay in our comfort zone behind those big strong walls we've built to protect ourselves. But the results can be so much better than what we imagine if we just delegate and TRUST.

Today, I'm running a business of mentoring and coaching close to 2,000 women and men.  Time management has become of utmost concern and value.  So in December, I did what all great leaders do -- I DELEGATED building my new website to JG Barnard http://www.jgbarnardmarketing.com/.  GREAT decision.  Love them. Love my new website: www.lesliesluxelashes.com (yes, shameless plug, but seriously check it out!! JG Barnard did AMAZING work!).

I'm thankful that I listened to my heart and my gut and DELEGATED so I can focus on income-producing activities, and streamlining my business!!!  To say that it was a "boutique experience" wouldn't give it justice.  I value the professionalism, the dedication, the attention and the sage advice I've been given.  Not only was this company AMAZING to work with, but I've gained a new life-long friend in the process!!!  I have no doubt that this relationship will see many fruitful years of business and friendship!

It's so FREEING when we can let go - (I won't quote the Frozen song, but admit it -- you started to sing it in your head). Let go of what you aren't great at and DELEGATE or outsource it!!!

I once read something that I found profound. We focus so much of our time on what we AREN'T good at, instead of forgetting it and focusing ONLY on what we ARE good at!!  Frankly, I'm 40 now, and I humbling realize my limitations and priorities. I CHOSE to focus my time on what makes me happy: my family, writing, inspiring, leading and mentoring!!

So my point of this blog is to share that DELEGATION is not a dirty word, or skill. It's is a self-aware attribute that can provide FREEDOM and focus on the things you love!

From laundry, child-care, lawn service, house cleaners etc. I think it is important to ask what can you delegate to improve your quality of life?  What can YOU delegate today to make your life more enjoyable?

xoxoxoxoxo


Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment