Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Putting on a Brave Face

My sister, a type-1 diabetic, mother of 4, attorney, land-use judge, marathon runner and more, has recently added one more title to the many hats she wears: breast cancer fighter.

Stephanie has always been an inspiration to me, but when she joined me in my mascara business, she BLEW me out of the water. So much so, that I felt compelled to write a press release about her.  Writing is my therapy.  I'm not so great at expressing my emotions all the time -- especially when things scare me and make me feel completely helpless and out of control.  My shield and weapon of choice is always the pen -- (or laptop now).  Words will NEVER describe the love, the respect, the complete admiration I feel for my sister, but here's my attempt to introduce you -- to give you an inside peek-- at one of the most amazing women I've ever met!!  Here's my "press release" that I wrote about her:

Putting on a “brave face” – Cancer Patient and her Sister Give Back During Chemotherapy Treatment.

Stephanie Marshall Hicks, a mother of four, volunteer, contract attorney, avid runner and land use hearings officer received devastating news last June. She was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma. Within a matter of weeks, Hicks began the first of an aggressive 8 rounds of chemotherapy over 16 weeks.

Despite her diagnosis, Hicks was determined to make lemonade out of lemons. In July, Stephanie decided to join Younique – a direct sales company, that sells makeup and skincare products. The company, most known for their 3D+ Fiber lash mascara, is a new company. However, as Hicks discovered, it is no ordinary company. It is a company with a mission to uplift, empower and validate women. A mission, which, resonates with Hicks.

Perhaps one of the hardest struggles with her cancer treatment was the loss of her hair. Even though the hair loss signified that the chemotherapy was working, it was nevertheless a constant reminder of her disease.
“When I first started with Younique, I had to force myself to put on my makeup. I am my own billboard for the product, so I have to wear it!! What I found, was that simple acts like getting dressed and putting on makeup made me feel more like ME again. It made me feel pretty and feminine, at a time when the things in my life that make me feel feminine were being taken away. It helped me, in a way to force myself to put on a ‘brave face.’”

Younique’s products are naturally based, which more than ever is important to Stephanie and her family. Moreover, makeup is recession proof- a luxury item many women will never part with regardless of the economy. Another aspect of this company that appealed to Stephanie was the online feature. “The company is the first ‘party company’ to operate solely on social media platforms. This is important, as I can host parties from the chemotherapy chair, or reach out to friends whom I have seen in years. I do not have to cook, clean or get my house ready. It’s all online!!”
Her “brave face” got noticed, and in less than a month, Stephanie promoted four times within her new business venture! Her sponsor and sister, Leslie Lewallen, said this: “It’s amazing to watch Stephanie. Despite everything that she has on her plate, and despite the fact that she’s out for three days every 2 weeks during her chemotherapy cycle, she still continues to succeed and promote!! I’ve watched her my entire life. She’s always been an inspiration, but she continues to up her game and impress me year after year. She has inspired thousands within the company. Women look up to her and say: “if she can do it…so can I!” Stephanie now has thousands of new friends who are cheering her on during treatment and helping to uplift, empower and validate her during this time.

In order to give back, Stephanie donated the proceeds of her commissions from all her sales in August to the Susan G. Komen breast cancer foundation Her sister, pledged to match the donation. Together they will have donated over $2,000 in a single month to cancer research.  Hicks has vowed to continue giving back in September, with a pledge to donate commissions this month to the St. Charles Cancer Center, and Sara’s Project, a local breast health education and outreach program to promote early detection of breast cancer and provide support to women facing a breast cancer diagnosis.

Stephanie’s mission is simple: “If you have been blessed in life, it is your duty to pass the blessing on. If I’ve learned anything with this cancer diagnosis, it is how important family, friends and supporting one another is.”

Together, Stephanie and her sister, Leslie donated more than $2,000 to Susan G. Komen.  The sisters have said that the feeling of empowerment – to give back during one’s fight – is humbling and gratifying.

To learn more, please contact Leslie at: lewallenbl@comcast.net. 309-363-9172, or www.lesliesluxelashes.com



No comments:

Post a Comment