Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Trials and Tribulations of Working from Home


I always dreamed of being able to work from home. Savoring my coffee, whilst still in my pajamas as the rest of the world is tugging on panty hose and running out the door with stale toast in their hands. I dreamt of lounging on the couch, with The Today show quietly on in the background and blissfully working with none of the distractions of silly meetings, billable hours or bosses watching your every move.

This dream was the result of my experiences.  I've been fortunate enough to experience it all. I've been the working woman, racing out the door in a crisp tailored suit, briefcase and hair in a french twist.  I've been the working mom, racing out the door in a "somewhat" pressed suit with baby spit up on it, and hair in a messy bun.I've been a stay at home mom, in the yoga pants and nikes watching the clock tick by slowly, counting down the hours until my husband came home to save me from inevitable boredom and monotony.

Now....now, I am living the DREAM!!!  I'm a self-employed, mother who works from HOME!!  Do you hear angels singing? No?  Me neither.  Every decision has it's pros and cons -- it's plus and minuses, it's good and bad.  Quotes and adages have been coined for THIS situation: "be careful what you wish for;" "grass is greener on the other side;" "you always want what you don't have."

I'm a BUSY mom! I work from home, which means my home is my office, and my dog, cats, three boys and husband are always in my "office!" Their shoes, clothes, backpacks etc. are in my office.  My "other" job (i.e. my domestic) duties constantly stare me in the face, reminding me ALWAYS that there is more to be done. There will always be MORE to do.  There will always be a feeling of inadequacy, or rather, never finishing the job!

But that is life!! We are never DONE! There is always more to do! There is always something waiting for your attention, someone or something that needs MORE...and I'm learning that is OK!

Why?  When I'm "done" is when I'm dead.  When I'm done, this house will be perfectly clean and quiet, there will be no "issues" from work, because I will likely not have a job (whether it be in the office or at home).  There will be nothing, but a very loud silence.  

So I'm embracing where I am RIGHT NOW in life! I'm not perfect. My life isn't perfect, but I'm WORKING and working at being me, being a mom, being a wife, being a friend, a leader, a businesswoman and being AUTHENTIC.

I'm finding that nobody wants perfect. They may say they do, but they appreciate real.  They appreciate when you show that the struggle is real. So...in an effort to show my struggle, I'll share my video I made in less than 2 minutes for my mascara/makeup business!

I had about 2 minutes to show this amazing product!  Excuse my hair, my dog barking and kids fighting in the background!  Seriously, if you get ONE product for yourself this fall...it NEEDS to be Younique's liquid foundation.  Check out the hot mess here: https://youtu.be/nLjcBgR480U



No comments:

Post a Comment